Thursday, March 29, 2012

Katsuya

Katsuya...the much anticipated, located in West Ave.  From locals I had started hearing negative reviews.  But, I still wanted to go...badly.  The design is really clean, cool, trendy, lots of white.  Over the top, but impressive, at first.  The menu was a little boring.  We had a really hard time figuring out what to order.  For appetizer we orderd some pepper thing, sorry can't find the menu so I'm going to have to resort to just describing the dishes as best as I can...and my visit was two weeks ago!  The green pepper appetizer was ok.  We then ordered some eggplant dish, tasty, good flavors.  The sushi ceviche was pretty good, but not very complex, very one dimensional.  I think I was infected by Uchi.  Uchi has some very complex dishes.  All sorts of flavors exploding in your mouth.  Ok, back to Katsuya, our next dish was a yellowtail dish with fried onions, which was my least favorite.  The onions were soggy, it just wasn't exciting or very good.  I had high hopes for the rice cake dish.  It was actually ok, but it was missing some flavors, a bit bland, however the texture was fun.  We ordered a few other dishes, nothing to write home about.  We ended with their apple pie dessert, which was really good in my opinion, but the other desserts were just ok, I forget their names.  Wow, that was a great review, huh?  The service was lacking.  I could tell she was trying, but at times we were sitting without service for a while. 

It's a really sexy atmosphere, but it had a cold feeling to it.  At the end of dinner, I started to feel like I was at some trendy club.  I thought my visit was a bit mediocre.  Not my favorite sushi joint experience.  It reminds me a bit of Blue Fish, but a little better.  Definitely a trendy sushi spot without a lot of substance.  I'm deflated.

1 comment:

  1. You'd think a "food blogger" would have a better camera. Your pics look like they were taken with a Blackberry Curve.

    ReplyDelete