Saturday, January 23, 2010

Hickory Hollow’s of Heights and Washington






It's always an interesting feeling having grown up in the 4th largest metropolitan city in the US, yet Texan. Having grown up here we're never surprised by cowboy hats, boots, banjo, etc although even to us (gen x and younger) it's more of a roots thing we accept rather than something we partake in. Well, some of us. It was common to see your classmates wearing cowboy boots and wranglers, although I've never taken part in that trend. Sometimes, even in this urban culture, I'll step into a place like Hickory Hollow and feel like I just stepped into a scene in some Urban Cowboy-like movie. It's still part of our Texas culture, but it always still catches me off guard. The interesting thing is I think places like this are actually trendy spots, trying to create that traditional Texas feeling, bc we're really not all that Texan anymore. But this time I looked around and the patrons actually looked like authentic Texans, boots, cowboy hats and all!




I feel like I'm always saying I'm not this kind of food person, but with BBQ, I really am not a BBQ person over anything else. I never crave BBQ and never really enjoy it. It's ok. The truth is I don't know how to judge BBQ. I know Rudy's is good BBQ, especially their creamy corn, yum yum. Hickory Hollow's BBQ, nothing to write home about, but it is central, so if you're looking for BBQ inside the loop with that traditional Texan vibe, here is one place. Yee-haw!

No comments:

Post a Comment