Wednesday, November 24, 2010

the Counter

The Counter off of Washington, near Shepherd...finally, I visit.  So I'm not really craving a burger, but this place has been on my to do list for so long, quite frankly I just wanted to scratch it off.  Building your own burger kind of places don't really appeal to me so much.  I visualize skimpy patties, lots of fixings, fast food, mediocre atmosphere, not a sit down and chat with your company kind of place.

OG and I walk in and the place is packed.  Clean, modern, seating in booths, tables, at the bar, and outside.  We decide to sit at the counter, my favorite spot in a restaurant.  I forget our server/bartender's name, but she's super friendly and nice.  She places these narrow clipboards in front of us, explains the process, we quickly order the sweet potato fries, while we finish ordering. 

You pick your type of meat (beef, chicken, turkey, veggie, etc), size is based on how it looks after it's been cooked and shrunken is the size quoted.  The 1/3 was plenty for me, OG got the 1/3 too, but they accidentally made him a 2/3 patty, view photo below.  Pick your fixings, sauce and bun.  They even have an english muffin.

Kind of fun.

Here's our lady server/bartender.

Look at this spread of our yummy sweet potato fries.  It doesn't look very big here, but when it came out, I thought it was a generous portion.  It's enough for two.  Tip, don't have the fries come out immediately bc you'll devour them all and have nothing to eat with your burger.  The sweet potato fries are slightly wide and crispy and they come with this creamy dipping sauce.  I had mine with ketchup and mustard, so good, try it.  I thought the fries were very good.

Right out this window is an unfinished parking lot.  Don't park there, they will tow, which is what they were doing while we were sitting here watching the commotion and getting the attention of everyone in the restaurant and the ones running out to save their cars.

I'm a classic burger kind of girl, not into all the fancy fixings.  I ordered the beef, 1/3, tomatoes, dill pickle chips, lettuce blend, on a multigrain bun with mustard and ketchup.  I was sure it was going to be like 5 Guys Burger and Fries, but the beef was very tasty.  I thought it was pretty good.

OG got the beef, accidental 2/3 patty, onions, tomoatoes, jalapenos, lettuce blend, white bun.  He said his was tasty as well.

Wine/beer list, not a huge selection, but they do have a decent list of your major beers.  I think the food is better than 5 Guys Burgers and Fries, which isn't saying much I know, since I don't think much of 5 Guys.  But I do actually think the Counter was good, not as good as Tiny's Boxwood's burgers, but good.  I actually think it's a pretty tasty burger and will probably be a returning patron.  Ok, that's all, over and out.

The Counter Houston
4601 Washington Avenue
Houston TX 77007

OPEN DAILY  
Sunday-Wednesday
Thursday-Saturday 11am-10pm
11am-Midnight

http://www.thecounterburger.com/HoustonTX/

No comments:

Post a Comment