Thursday, December 9, 2010

Cafe Bello

A birthday lunch w/ David S. to the new Vallone's Cafe Bello, in the old La Strada building off of Westhemier, eastward past Montrose.  For some reason I was thinking this was the lighter version of Ciao Bello on San Felipe in the old La Strada in the Memorial area.  I'm not sure if that's true, but that information got into my head somehow.

I love exposed brick interiors.  Very cozy, but I'm not really loving the atmosphere, I think it may have been the furnishings.  But I think anyone wouldn't mind the interior, it's fine.

We decide to do the 3 prix fixe menu.  Looking at the website now, I should have gotten a pizza or the waffles and hotwings!

Our good sport of a server posing for a shot.

They lay bread and sticks on the table over a large white deli-like paper, different and fun.

P u l c i n e l l a
F r i s e e , A r u g u l a , S w e e t B a s i l ,
C a n d i e d N u t s a n d P a r m e s a n V i n a i g r e t t e
I thought it was good.

David S got the soup, it had crab in it, couldn't find it on the online menu so...that's as descriptive as I get for this one.  He said it was ok.  Found it! 
 
Z u p p a F r e s c a

C h i l l e d G r e e n H e i r l o o m T o m a t o G a z p a c h o
W i t h B a b y S h r i m p
Wedding Soup. 
They accidentally brought this out, so they left it for us.  It was interesting, bits of it good, but also bland.


E n d i v e S a l a d
G r i l l e d C h i c k e n , C a n d i e d A l m o n d s , G o r g o n z o l a a n d H o n e y E m u l s i o n.
I thought the chicken was good, the lettuce thing was pretty bitter.


G r i l l e d S a l m o n P a i l l a r d

A r u g u l a a n d C h e r r y T o m a t o S a l a d
W i t h V a l l o n e V i n a i g r e t t e a n d B a s i l P e s t o

B l u e b e r r y T a r t
Now this, was very good.  I ate half, David ate the other half.  He got the Mini Cannoli.

I hate this kind of wall paint, it's so Empire Cafe, even though I love Empire cafe.

In summary, I thought this restaurant really missed the mark.  The sad thing is it's in a really nice building, the exterior is nice, but the interior is eh.  I can see they tried, but it just wasn't good in any way from the interior to the food to the desserts.  David said it was fine.  Said, would he come back, probably not.  Me either.
322 Westheimer
Houston, Texas 77006
713 520 5599

Mo-Th 11 am - 10 pm
Fr-Sa 11 am - midnight
Su 11 am - 5 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment